No start problem

Zoomina34

I have reason to believe there is an ignition short im my steering column. The car rarely starts on the first 2 turns of the key but almost always on the third try. A small puff of smoke can be seen sometimes too. This morning it would not start at all. The oil light and ebrake lights go on and off when turned to start. If i turn the key very slowly i can hear a slight click under the hood and in the dash, other than that car does nothing at all. A while back i broke the high beam switch, i'm thinking maybe it's pinching one of the ignition wires? Do i need a puller to take the steering wheel off?

Also how can i test the starter aside from checking all connectins?

I think I'm having the same exact problem and I think it is the battery. My car is a 93' CS and the battery looks like its been in the car since 93. But I only have this problem after the car sits idle for a while, without me driving it or starting it up for a while.

i had starting/idling issues with my car from time to time...once it even cut out on me while i was driving....or better, my radio would cut out sometimes when I hit the brakes...all i had to do was tighten my battery terminals...

Sounds to me like you need new battery cables. An old, deteriorated set of cables will allow enough current through to operate the accessories, but not enough to turn the starter over (or even bump the solenoid...)