rear creaking??

Stealth

the rear end of my car has been creaking for a couple of months its not the struts its the metal rod thingy witht he rubber on it, anyway the mechanic just said that it was dry and that I should undercoat it and it will be fine, it doesnt creak when it rains out so im sure it is just old and dry, anyway today I went to CT and bought some silicone lube spray cause I thought that would work, well I soaked the mofo joints and now its REALLLLY loud, but the travel is alot smoother, so I guess it helped uncease it a bit. what can I spray it with? some sort of oil? motor oil? special lube? thanks guys

Rear spring creaks are due to rubber pads on mono spring falling off....

Open this PDF file bud....it may help clear up what you need to see....

http://www.federal-mogul.com/fmeconnect/technicalservices/downloads/2022.pdf

Easy As Pie to install as long as you have jack stands, a floor jack, and a small block of wood(to protect spring from metal cup of jack).

Once the car is secure on the stands...use the small wood block and the jack to raise the spring up just a few inches and those Moog parts drop right in!

RIBBED SIDE down and there are little tabs on the block that allow it to sit securely between the braces and not fall out.

Lower the spring and do the other side!

DONE!

NOTE: If you have any of the old isolator block still on use a screwdriver to

pry them off. Don't leave them there.

SQUEAK ALL GONE! :D :D

How much is the kit, typically? Do you know if it's available at any of the national parts chains (NAPA, PepBoys, Checker, etc.) or is it only available thru Federal Mogul?

Sounds like an essential "upgrade" to me. I might as well replace the isolators (whether they need replacing or not) when I change my struts...

$18 from Carquest I believe is where i got them...

ya....no rubber left...no good.

The spring is fiberglass and it will with shatter with out them.

Its a must do if there gone.

Or your ass will will hit the ground one day...trust me i know from

experience with another wbody and had to change the spring.

• 3 years later...

I was looking for this writeup on Federal Mogul but the page no longer exists.. Is this a part I can get from Rockauto?

Are we talking about the same thing as this: 5201211-1.jpg

Well, now that the thread is active again, what exactly would those pads be called? When my leaf took a crap on me last year, I replaced it, and the guys at NAPA had a hell of a time finding what I need, and even so I don't know if that's the right part. They were plastic... Now reading here about them being rubber makes me think I don't have the right part installed there... And I have developed a creaking sound recently (terrible roads) maybe one of them fell out... :willynilly:

Does anyone have a picture with an arrow showing where these pads go? And to take it a step further, does anyone know what exactly they are called and where someone can get them? :frown:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=39878.0

That thread should help with monoleaf helper block info. Neb, they are plastic, and my GP had one crack, but it didn't cause creaking. Rather, a thumping sound developed because my strut mount was bad. I eventually had the strut push through the mount into my trunk.

lol my rear sags pretty good. I bought those monoleaf helpers a few months ago but apparently i installed them incorrectly because one snapped in half lolol. it made a pretty loud noise as half of the block came through the rim (5 spoke) and popped the car next to mine. make sure they are installed properly :mrgreen:

http://www.w-body.com/forum/index.php?topic=39878.0

That thread should help with monoleaf helper block info. Neb, they are plastic, and my GP had one crack, but it didn't cause creaking. Rather, a thumping sound developed because my strut mount was bad. I eventually had the strut push through the mount into my trunk.

That's PERFECT. Thanks for posting it. It looks like the driverside rear is creaking on mine so I'll get those pads. Passenger side pops when I hit the brakes and over some bumps so I might need to replace the strut mounts too.

Thanks again! :smile:

I noticed that Rockauto has the monoleaf inserts as well. They also had something that was called a monoleaf dampener. :confused: Oh well. I ordered the plastic inserts as well as the mounts and will install them soon. :smile:

I got to looking at my rear end and saw that i'm missing these "dampeners" as well.

But I've got a bigger problem.

There is a crack in my monoleaf.. well, not exactly a crack. Part of the materal broke off, its still attached but its not following the same curve as the rest of the monoleaf. I only saw this with my car up on a lift, I wish I had snapped a picture of it.

Will I need a new monoleaf? :eek:

I got to looking at my rear end and saw that i'm missing these "dampeners" as well.

There is a crack in my monoleaf.. well, not exactly a crack. Part of the materal broke off, its still attached but its not following the same curve as the rest of the monoleaf. I only saw this with my car up on a lift, I wish I had snapped a picture of it.

You might, they are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

I put those plastic perch pads in today. The driverside wanted to creak more but after putting a little grease on the pad, the noise went away entirely. Lets see how long the rear stays creak free. :smile:

You might, they are relatively easy and cheap to replace.

Just how cheap are they in your area? I thought they are fucking expensive around here when I had to replace mine. :sad: Cost me $325 for a used one, that came off a '95 GP, some places wanted up to $450 for used. GM new was around $700-800 if I remember correctly right now...

If this is true.

I'm.

Done.

...My ABS isn't functioning, my brakes are iffy and it will take just as much to convert to vacuum as it will take to find another ABS unit... not that any junkyards around here carry them, or ANYTHING for my car.

And if I have to replace the monoleaf too.. no, forget that shit.

As soon as I do that, my power steering rack will take a crap on itself.

Now I'm back to banging my head on a brick wall.

You own a 15+ year old car. If you like it enough it's going to take some time, dedication, and above all money. I dumped nearly 2k (I know thats rediculous, price breakdowns and explainantions can be had via PM) into my car last year just to convert it to manual. Let the fuckin thing snap and grab a leaf out of junkyard - for..$50 max. Seems like you have a couple more imporant issues to worry about than that.

You own a 15+ year old car. If you like it enough it's going to take some time, dedication, and above all money. I dumped nearly 2k (I know thats rediculous, price breakdowns and explainantions can be had via PM) into my car last year just to convert it to manual. Let the fuckin thing snap and grab a leaf out of junkyard - for..$50 max. Seems like you have a couple more imporant issues to worry about than that.

2k was what we put into the car in the first YEAR.

mind you.. I can't do much work myself, so there is a lot involved in labor costs.

We've (my mother and I together) have put an insane amount of money into getting this car back together.. I've got stacks of receipts, and thats only half of them, as my mother ended up with some as well.