damn starter

cutlsp

okay my old starter still works for the most part but it was starting to go bad. heres what i did i went and bought a 100% brand new starter figuring it would be better right? Boy was i wrong as of right now there is a loud grinding noise from the car when i start it. and i does not go away.

needless to say i'm stumped :? help me Please.

yes i put all the shims back in place and the starter was identical to the old one so i don't knoe this is just fucked up you know? :?

Take your car to the parts store, have the guy come out and listen to it. He might have an idea of what the issue ios. Make sure it is someone that has been employed there a while, IE a manager.

i'm afraid to even move the car right now man it sounds really bad :?

and its REALLY LOUD so i'm gonna pull it out tomorrow and check it out to see if it is rubbing somewhere if it is i'll put the old one back in.

i got 2 questions for ya

1. did you use the old shim instead of the new one?

cause i found out i needed to use my old one not the one it came with

2. did you install it correctly ?

just a fyi man '

Jeremy

man i didn't have anything but my old shim so that is not the problem.

i followed the instructions disconnect the negative battery terminal and what not. i lined everything up bolted it in. bolted the wires on in the same order they came off in. then reconnected the negative battery terminal. then started it and the noise wouldn't go away i'm like DAMN IT.

infact it shouldn't even made a noise so i'm stumped. :? FYI i'm going to remove it tomorrow and put the old one that was apparently working fine back in...

1st question: Did the new starter include a feeler gauge along with the shim kit? You're supposed to remove the dust cover from the flexplate and use the feeler to judge how many shims you need to use to align it properly.

2nd: Does it actually turn the motor over or does it just grind? If it just grinds, then the starter itself is shot. If the starter isn't shimmed up properly, it will make a grinding noise, but it will still turn the motor over...

When you have the starter out, be sure to check the flexplate/flywheel to see if the starter's grinding caused any damage to the teeth at all...

:lol: it was the fucking shim i'm a dumb ass :oops:

the shim was rubbing the flywheel(flex Plate) and was bent out of shape when i removed it so i was like :shock: :twitch: :x :evil: :cuss: :dammit: :motz2: :willynilly: bet i look pretty fucking insane after finding out the shim was the cause of the problem :bonk:

we've all had our moments of stupidity. Its what seperates us from the animals, well that and they get to fuck and eat all day and worry about working to pay for it all. somewhere, humans fucked up.