AC Re-charge

Speckkial

I have a 93 Cutlass Supreme 3.1L and when I bought the car I was told that the AC needed to be re-charged. Well....It's been about two months since then and I haven't got the AC re-charged but I did try to turn it on one day while going through a car wash. It blew out these smelly ass fumes and I almost let all the windows down in the car wash. My question is, will not re-charging my AC affect the heat also? I'm not trully concerned about having AC during the summer but I am concerned about having heat for the winter.

Your A/C system has nothing to do with your heater.
Mostly true, but the AC compressor does kick in (in winter when you're using the heat) when you put it into "DEF" (front defroster) mode. The reason being is to aid the heater in pulling down the humidity (fog) from the windshield.

Have you ever noticed that Japanese cars have a separate button to activate the AC? You need to manually press the AC button on those cars to turn on the compressor when you're using the defroster in the winter. You'll notice a difference in the time it takes to defrost the windshield with and without using the AC compressor. GM's automatically switch on the compressor when you select "DEF."

I don't even have my compressor on the belt any longer. Your A/C system has nothing to do with your heater.

How do you manage that? I didn't think there was a non-A/C belt, though I've only asked at Autozone so far.. that was before I revived my A/C system.

I don't even have my compressor on the belt any longer. Your A/C system has nothing to do with your heater.

How do you manage that? I didn't think there was a non-A/C belt, though I've only asked at Autozone so far.. that was before I revived my A/C system.

There's not a belt made for the Non A/C car since they use the same belt. There's simply a dead pulley in place of the compressor pulley. I simply took my old belt around the accessories and held up the slack, measured it, and headed off to AutoZone.