I want to redo my interior .... in Black and Red Leather....

fierofanatic

Don't call me crazy, I really would like to completely redo my interior in my 93 Grand Prix. As it stands right now, it has the light grey interior, with cloth seats. I can get an entire jet black automotive hide off ebay, top quality for $125.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48298&item=8124867398&rd=1

55 sq. ft roughly. Now, is leather extremely difficult to work with? Can it be glued, or must it be sewn? Any general ideas on applying it? I'd like to redo the pillar panels and stuff with the leather, and all of the side carpeting, and rear window carpeting with it, and door panels. Now I don't want all black, but would like to make a Mainly black interior, with red leather highlights. Like the different pieces in the dash with the red, and the different patches on the side spots, like the door panel, etc. Also can I like physically take it, apply glue over the entire top of the dash, and apply the leather on top? Please help out..... :)

I'd like to redo the pillar panels and stuff with the leather, and all of the side carpeting, and rear window carpeting with it, and door panels.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO. Leave the plastic pillars as they are.. PLASTIC. Leather on things other than seats and door panels looks tacky as fuck. Anyhow.. It would be a GIGANTIC pain in the ass to do the work yourself. This is definitely best left to a professional upholsterer.

I'd like to redo the pillar panels and stuff with the leather, and all of the side carpeting, and rear window carpeting with it, and door panels.

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO. NO. Leave the plastic pillars as they are.. PLASTIC. Leather on things other than seats and door panels looks tacky as fuck. Anyhow.. It would be a GIGANTIC pain in the ass to do the work yourself. This is definitely best left to a professional upholsterer.

:withstupid:

i have to argee leather is a pain in the ass and you mess up the whole peice is screwed.

leather both stretches and shrinks. its tricky.

I'd just pull the cloth off the seats you have, and use a seam ripper to gently pull the panels of fabric apart, and use those as templates for the leather.

Id do all the pulling off of the fabric from your seats and such.. Then itll be LESS for the pros to put the leather YOU provide on the seats.. Also, don't leather the plastic parts of your interior.. I've seen it done, and it looks positively gay.. ANd instead of leather on the door panels, I recommend vinyl.. Cheaper, and in case water gets on it, it wont get damaged the way leather does.. Good luck!

My grandpa is a professional upholsterer and his specialty is custom car interiors. When I first got my Cutlass we were talking about what would be cool to do to my car, and we had a similar idea as yours (red and black leather). He told me that it would take a thousand dollars worth of leather (his cost) and eighty hours of labor, and he has been doing this all his life. I don't think you want to try that.

I agree with what all the guys say on here.

I tried to put vinyl on the armrests of my doors- was very difficult and looks like shit. Also tried to put it on the dash pad- looks like crap. I used contact cement and that stuff lets go when its pulled on or when heat gets to it.

If you wanna paint something, go for it.. Attempting to glue stuff on will only fall off and makey your car look ghetto. If your seats look like crap just get some seat covers.

If you really want leather done get it done by a pro.