Started STE up after 3100 topend swap...OIL EVERYWHERE!!!

dbtk2

I don't have all the coolant lines on but I started up the car to make sure it at least ran before I got it completely put together. (and because my grandfather was telling me there was no way it was even gonna run after everything I changed, so I was proving him worng). I let it run for about 45-60 seconds and it was starting to idle down. (got down to about 1400) Even at 1400 I can tell the difference in the cam. I also noticed it had more oil pressure then it did before. Anyways, I shut it off because i did what I wanted to do. So I get out and hear a fast dripping noise, I look under the car and there is oil ALL OVER THE FLOOR. I pull the dipstick and it was dry. (just what I want when I'm trying to break in my new valvetrain) I don't understand it. It appears to be coming from around the starter area, which makes a little sense, because thats the only thing on the bottom of the car I touched (took it off because I thought I was gonna have to drop the pan to change the cam until colin (v6h.o. on the 60 degree forum) informed me otherwise). Well, does anyone know anything around that area that could get easily cut or something. I mean, the oil only came out when the engine was running, it stopped when I shut it off (except for what was running off the frame and things like that). That makes me think it must be a pressure line or something. I can see some hoses around there, but cant tell which one and I don't want to start the engine up 2+ quarts low on oil to see where its coming from and I don't want to waste 2 more quarts of brand new oil (although I might have to).

All I can say is its a good thing I decided to only run it for a minute.

Any ideas...as you can tell, this is a MAJOR problem. Anything is better than nothing. I need to drive this car!

Thanks,

Shawn

What abou the turbo oil feed line? It runs along the front of the motor near the oil filter/starter area.

EDIT: I can take a picture of a service manual showing it if you want...

Turbo oil feed line, turbo oil return line, and the oil cooler is right there. I wouldn't start it back up, just check those lines, and if need be, dump more oil in, put on your goggles and a dirty shirt, climb yer ass under there, and have gramps start er up. :lol:

What specifically did you replace? If you replaced the cam, that means you had to pull the timing chain cover, which means you have too pull the oil pan.

Where around the starter is it leaking? the oil return line goes above the starter.

What specifically did you replace? If you replaced the cam, that means you had to pull the timing chain cover, which means you have too pull the oil pan.

Where around the starter is it leaking? the oil return line goes above the starter.

I can't tell exactly where its leaking from. It looks like it is right around the oil return line, but I'm not sure. There are a few oil (I think they're oil lines) lines running in that area. I think I'm gonna dump some oil in it and get under it and have my dad fire her up. That should tell me.

I had to take the timing chain cover off not only to replace the cam but because I had to also change the timing cover for my topend swap. I know you're supposed to pull the pan to replace the pan gasket there, but it put some RTV sealant on it, and its NOT leaking from there. I checked that also because I thought that was definately a possibility. Its not easy for me to pull the pan since I never took the engine out of the car.

Shawn

I had my friend start it up while I was under it (well, I pulled the ignition and fuel pump fuses so he just rolled the engine over as I didn't want to start it up) and it seemed to be coming from the oil pressure sender. Does anyone know if that can just be tightened and maybe that will fix the problem? If so how do I do that? How do I remove it to install a new one? Am I gonna lose all my oil changing it?

Thanks,

Shawn